Strength for today

Today, more than other days, I am afraid.

I am afraid of starting over in a new place, not knowing anyone and trying desperately to make friends.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Psalm 23:6

“These twin guardian angels will always be with me. Just as when great princes go abroad and must not go unattended, so it is with the believer. Goodness and mercy follow him always – the black days as well as the bright days. Goodness supplies our needs, and mercy blots out our sins.”
Charles Spurgeon, Psalms Volume II, Series editors, Alister McGrath and J.I. Packer (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 1993), p. 70.

I am afraid for our children--for what the next several years will hold, and how their lives will be affected by the radical policies sweeping through this administration.


"The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you." Psalm 102:28

“[This verse] is full of good cheer to us; we may plead for the Lord’s favor to our offspring…. God does not neglect the children of his servants…Grace is not hereditary, yet God loves to be served by the same family time out of mind…. We may, therefore, not only for our own sakes but also out of love to the church of God, daily pray that our sons and daughters may be saved, and kept by divine grace even unto the end—established before the Lord.”
Charles Spurgeon

I am afraid of wasting my life--wasting precious minutes each day doing my own thing, wasting moments I could have spent teaching our daughter about Christ or blessing my husband or truly seeking the Lord in His Word--and then dying and getting to heaven and realizing that I have not been faithful.

"Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart." Psalm 51:6

“God is teaching [the repentant Christian] truth concerning his nature, which he had not before perceived. The love of the heart, the mystery of its fall, and the way of its purification – this hidden wisdom we must all attain; and it is a great blessing to be able to believe that the Lord will ‘make us know it.’”
Charles Spurgeon

But, God has not given up on me. My prayer is that He will help me to give my worries and anxieties today to Him, and instead of focusing on them, to focus on Him and His grace--the power that sustains me and gives me strength for today and hope for tomorrow. May I fear only the Lord!

~Kirsten

Comments

Popular Posts